The history of Château de Galinée
From the 13th century to the present day
The Galinee fortress with its towers and turrets was built in the 13th century by Perceval de Cognetz. The family lived here for over 6 centuries.
In the 18th Century the fortress was replaced by a beautiful Rennaissance chateau comprising a main building and two parallel wings. The chapel, which actually houses the campsite shop, was also built in the 18th century.
After a fire in the 16th century and a second in the 18th, during the Battle of Saint-Cast (1758), the castle was rebuilt and transformed into a manor house during the 19th century. Three original shields have been preserved as testimony to the past.
Remnants of the original and second castle include a 13th century lavoir (wash house) and a polygonal tower, some elements from the 16th century and the 18th century chapel.